Wednesday, April 29, 2020

AT THE CROSSROADS OF TIME ( a duet )


AT THE CROSSROADS OF TIME
A duet by Ifiokobong Etuk and Artitude

IFIOKOBONG

Dear future self
I know you're living the life that was a dream the day I wrote this
With my eyes closed and my mind wandering and time traveling
I wrote this so that one day, you'll get the chance of hearing from your younger self
And have the rare opportunity of knowing your past didn't die to time.

I know you've grown to become the big picture I used to paint with words
But the imagery I wish to create with this
Is that of when the canvas you now live in was still blank
Before muse turned you into the Da Vinci of words you now are.

I hope you now sit to dine and wine
On the table discussion of men whenever they talk about legends 
And remember how the art became a potion
That you drank and became immortal 
Living forever on every page that met your Ink.

The day I wrote this
I was young, living in the solid reality of a present that is a past for you
You were in the future that was promising but never promised
A sacred mountain top in the wild of my imagination
That I wished to reach someday.

On the day you'll read this
You will be the solid reality
And this will be just another piece of time from the past
And I will be nothing but a liquid memory blended in nostalgic wine.

I write this to remind of your days of small beginning
Of when you wrote your emotions in small verses
Of when you were just another poet a nobody knew of
Of when your rhymes were too primary to wow kids
Of when your puns were not playful as intended
Of the time that was before the world knew your name

So when you read this
You'll sure have reasons
To propose a toast to the victory journey your life has become.

ARTITUDE

Dear Younger Self

I found your letter between the pile of books you buried it 
And to realize I was once you, makes me miss you so much.

Life is much more crazier than you envisaged. 
There are no big pictures, just big words. 
Don't get me wrong, I've connected every dot you wrote 
but the imagery is still a faux.

And Yes, 
I'm big now but more like a lonely elephant stuck in a pile of poop.
And, fame is just a popular thief that sticks a gun in your mouth
Forcing you to give up your right to a private life. 

There are no legends here; 
Not even me 
Expect for the bottle of chill drink that made it to the new era. 

There are nights I drink myself to bed 
And when these folks speak to me about legends, 
I just think about the liquor that sleeps in my tummy.

I think, I understand why they all call me legend and with the same breathe
Ask me to buy them a bottle of drink.

I miss you;
I miss when words had true meaning
And fame didn't know my address.


© Ifiokobong Etuk
  (KING of the QUILL)
© ARTITUDE JOR

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff from you both, had me smiling all the way. Ifiok and Artitude to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, cheers to you both 👏

    ReplyDelete